What's New
North Orange Debit MasterCard
QLess Line Management
Stop waiting in line!

Quick Links


Selective Service

Federal Student Aid on YouTubeFederal Student Aid
Federal Student AidFederal Student Aid

Financial Aid TV

Financial Aid TV

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?
The first step is completing the FAFSA. Please visit How to Apply for more information.
What is FAFSA?
FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Remember, this is a FREE application available at https://fafsa.ed.gov//.
What is the deadline for filing the FAFSA (i.e. applying for financial aid)?
The FAFSA is available October 1st through June 30th of the following academic year. You can apply for FAFSA anytime during those 21 months. For example, if need to apply for the 2019-2020 FAFSA, the application is open from October 1, 2018 through June 30, 2020.

March 2nd is the priority FAFSA filing deadline for most colleges and universities to be considered for Cal Grant.
What is the Dream Act?
The California Dream Act is for undocumented and nonresident documented students who meet certain provisions to apply for and receive state-administered financial aid, CCPG Fee Waiver, and Cal Grants.
I am a Dream Act student. Should I complete the FAFSA?
No. Dream Act students should complete the Dream Act Application. Remember, applications must be completed by March 2nd to be eligible to receive a Cal Grant. If completed after March 2nd, Dream Act students are still eligible to receive the CCPG.
I want to apply for the Cal Grant. How do I complete the GPA Verification?
If you have completed 16 or more units at Fullerton College, the GPA Verification will be sent automatically for all students who have completed the FAFSA/Dream Act Application prior to the March 2 deadline. If you do not have 16 or more units completed at Fullerton College, you will need to go to your prior school to have the GPA Verification completed.
How is the FAFSA used to determine my financial aid need?
The federal government uses data provided on the FAFSA to calculate a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The Financial Aid Office calculates a student’s cost of attendance which includes tuition, living expenses, miscellaneous fees, book, etc. The cost of attendance minus EFC equals a student’s financial need which we then try to meet with federal grants, state grants, academic or talent scholarships, institutional grants, federal work study, and various loans.
Are there any forms to fill out besides the FAFSA?
All students have the possibility of being selected for a verification process. Once a student completes the FAFSA, they will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). On that SAR, the student will be informed that they are selected for verification.

If a student is selected for verification, they can access the required forms by logging in to myGateway, selecting Financial Aid, selecting My Overall Status, and selecting any requirements listed. If it is a PDF, print out the forms, fill them out, and submit them to the Financial Aid Office. If it directs you to another site, login or create an account. From there, it will inform you of the necessary documents required.

READ the requirements carefully to ensure a timely disbursement of funds. If you turn in the wrong form, the Financial Aid Office will have to reject it and request the correct form which could delay your funds.

Return to top
I cannot create an account through verifymyfafsa. What should I do?
The verifymyfafsa website obtains information directly from your fafsa. Make sure that you are creating the account with the exact same information you supplied on your FAFSA. Confirm the birth date, social security number, and name provided on the FAFSA. For example, if you put Ana-Maria on the FAFSA but tried to create an account using Ana Maria, it will reject it.
I locked myself out of my account through verifymyfafsa. What should I do?
You will have to contact the Financial Aid Office. Remember to verify your email address so you can reset your password using your email address.
I uploaded my taxes but they were rejected. What should I do?
The Financial Aid Office is required to obtain certain documentation from students based on their FAFSA which most of the time includes a Tax Return Transcript which is different than a 1040 Form. You can obtain a Tax Return Transcript from irs.gov or you can do the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to expedite the process.
What is the IRS Data Retrieval Process?
What is a FERPA?
The FERPA form allows information to be released to the student over the phone or via email. The student can also allow a parent or someone else to receive information on their behalf. No personal information will be released without a completed FERPA on file.

The FERPA form is available through verifymyfafsa. If it is not available to you, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
How do I apply for work-study?
Students interested in work-study must complete the FAFSA and indicate “Yes” on Question 31 to say they are interested in work-study. Students who complete their financial aid file by May 31st and have the highest financial need will be offered the award first. You can find out more information on our Federal Work-Study page.
Do I qualify as an independent student?
Students qualify as independent if they can answer YES to at least one of the following questions:
  • Will you be 24 or older by December 31st of the school year for which you are applying for financial aid?
  • Are you working toward a Master’s or Doctorate degree?
  • Are you married or separated but not divorced?
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
  • At any time since you turned 13, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a ward or dependent of the court?
  • Are you an emancipated minor or are you in a legal guardianship as determined by a court?
  • Are you an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
If you did not answer yes to any of the above questions, you are most likely a dependent student and must provide parental information on the FAFSA.

Return to top
What is Selective Service System?
In order to receive Financial Aid, male students between the age of 18 and 25, are required to register with the Selective Service, if the student has not already done so. Failure to register may cause you to permanently forfeit eligibility for Financial Aid benefits, among other consequences.

Once you have registered, within 90 days you should receive registration acknowledgement from Selective Service, which will serve as official proof of registration. However, if registration acknowledgement is not received within 90 days, we encourage you to verify with Selective Service that registration was received. Verification of registration may be obtained on-line at www.sss.gov, by telephone at (847) 688-6888, or by mail, as follows:

Selective Service System
Registration Information Office
P.O. Box 94638 Palatine, IL 60094-4638

Registering with Selective Service does NOT mean that you are joining the military. The United States will utilize the names and addresses of men between the ages of 18 and 25, in case of a national emergency that requires a draft.

For students who did not register and are 26 years of age or older, you must complete and submit a Selective Service System Registration Form (you may not register on-line). The application must be accompanied by a letter of explanation setting forth the reason for your failure to register between the age of 18 and 25.

Selective Service will send a letter of confirmation to you, confirming that you are not required to register due to your age. This letter will fulfill the Financial Aid requirement.

For additional information, please contact Selective Service System at indicated above, or contact the Financial Aid Office at (714) 992-7050, or visit our office.

If you do not have a social security number, you must register at any U.S. Post Office by filling out the Selective Service "mail-back" registration. A male can fill it out (leaving the space for his Social Security Number blank, if he has not yet obtained one), sign it, affix postage, and mail it to Selective Service, without the involvement of the postal clerk.

Return to top
Where can I obtain more information on Scholarships?
Students can contact the Fullerton College Foundation Office (include following link: http://www.fullcollfoundation.org/) at 714.525.5651 or the Fullerton College Cadena/Transfer Center (include following link: cadena.fullcoll.edu) at 714.992.7587.

Students can also log onto fastweb.com that can provide scholarship information based on the student profile.

Return to top
What is the Outreach Plan?
The Financial Aid Office Outreach Plan includes presentations in English and Spanish to students and parents regarding financial aid, workshops on completing the FAFSA, informational booths, on campus classroom presentations, and assistance on other parts of financial aid such as the California Dream Act.

If a student, staff, or member of the public is interested in a financial aid presentation by the Financial Aid Office, please contact Financial Aid Outreach at faoutreach@fullcoll.edu.

Return to top

NOTE: At the Financial Aid Office, we believe that the more you know the more you will benefit, which is why we provide you with answers to the most frequently asked questions. To find out more about financial aid, feel free to call or visit our department. Remember...the question that is NOT asked is the question that remains unanswered! We are here to help YOU!